C667t, Aspergers. ADHD, growth hormone deficiency, low homocysteine

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Lynette 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Author

Lynette

Hi. My son is 7 years old and we are at a loss on how to help him. He has been diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD, MTHFR (homozygous), and pituitary dwarfism (growth hormone deficiency which he gets a shot of GH every night). He is often angry; very, very impulsive; sensory-seeking; and gets overexcited easily. We have had in-home therapy for two years, he goes to a special school for high-fuctioning autistic children, and we have tried several medications over the past two years to help him not rage daily and to level out his anxiety and mood. None have worked (risperdal, tenex, intuniv, abilify, zoloft, clodadine, ritalin and adderall). Some work for a short time but then stop. The ADHD stimulants made him manic and eve more hyper (which I didn’t think was possible). He now takes Deplin, but it has not changed his behavior at all. His grandmother on his dad’s side has Hashimoto’s disease and his aunt and grandfather on his mother’s side are both bi-polar. He also has a younger brother who has PDD-NOS and ADHD, but does not rage and more manageable. Lastly, but importantly, he had an EEG recently because we thought he may have absent seizures-which he doesn’t–but the scan was abnormal. The neurologist said he had slowing down of brain waves and it was listed on the report as “mild diffuse encephalopathy”. I’m guessing this is why no therapy has worked thus far. Any insight on how to help him would be greatly appreciated. Oh, he is allergic to milk (vomits) and egg whites (hives) and has recently developed seasonal allergies. Lastly, he has a normal IQ (112).

July 24, 2012 at 10:07 pm #2960

Lynette

My apologies–I forgot to also mention he has recently gotten labwork and it tested normal level of b6 and low homocysteine levels. We haven’t found out about b12 yet. He also has a low lactic acid level, which I hear is good.

July 25, 2012 at 2:08 am #2962

Lynette

Just got back test results with b12 serum. Very elevated at 1621. Also, in urine analysis his taurine and methionine levels are low.

July 25, 2012 at 3:29 am #2963

Marie Smith

Was he fully vaccinated? Have you tested his heavy metal levels via hair?

July 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm #2965

Lynette

Yes, he was fully vaccinated and, no,I have never done that. I was thinking about getting it done but not sure if that will help with all his odd levels. We did try GFCF (he’s already CF anyway) but it didn’t seem to help his behavior at all. I may try it again though.

July 26, 2012 at 1:37 am #2972

Lynn_M

Had he been taking supplemental B12? If he was taking cyanocobalamin, a high B12 test level can indicate an inability to absorb or metabolize that inactive form of B12. The low methionine and high B12 could be indicating he has a glutathione deficiency-methylation cycle block, which ties in with MTHFR. You might benefit from reading the works of Dr. Neubrander’s, Dt. Rich van Konynenburg, Dr. Amy Yasko, or Dr. Natasha Campball-McBride and her GAPS diet.

July 26, 2012 at 8:32 pm #2981

Erica

Hi, Sorry to hear all this. Since you say he is allergic to milk, have you tried a liquid calcium supplement? all children need 500mg of calcium daily and since he is allergic, I highly recommend using “Child Life” liquid calcium (orange flavored). You can get it online or at vitamin shoppe. I’ve heard that it works very well in helping children with their development and has a calming effect. Please try and let me know if you see improvements! All the best.

July 28, 2012 at 11:30 pm #2999

Lynette

Thank you for your responses. He does get a lot of B12 in his soy milk. It is also fortified with calcium, though it may not be enough. I think he may have a glutathione deficiency. I will look into both suggestions. Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Reply To: C667t, Aspergers. ADHD, growth hormone deficiency, low homocysteine
Your information:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Comments are closed.