calcium folinate

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lynn D 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Author

Zac

My test indicated that I have the mthfr c677t mutation. I tried Metafolin and it caused me to feel quite confused. Do you have any experience with calcium folinate?

February 21, 2012 at 8:30 am #982

Dr Lynch
    Key Master

Zac –

How much metafolin you take?

Calcium folinate can be made by your body from folic acid. The MTHFR enzyme does not inhibit that step.

How many copies of MTHFR C677T you have? 1 or 2?

February 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm #1075

Zac

In terms of the Metafolin – I took roughly 15mg as part of an active b complex. I felt really off that day. Additionally – I tried about the same in terms of the Calcium folinate about a week ago and had similar results, which seems to be lasting much longer. I haven’t felt the same since – I feel quite ‘heavy’ – almost like my nervous system has been suppressed. However, I have an underlying feeling of anxiety – which actually resulted in a panic attack yesterday. I get the feeling that active folate is really bad for me. This is from my lab results:

The (-) indicates homozygosity or unidentified
    allele.
    Typing performed by PCR and hybridization with
    sequence specific oligonucleotide probes (SSO).
    METHYLENETETRAHYDROFOLATE AMD
    REDUCTASE (MTHFR), DNA
    RESULT see note
    POSITIVE FOR ONE COPY OF THE C677T MUTATION
    INTERPRETATION see note
    This individual is heterozygous for the C677T
    mutation and negative (normal) for the A1298C
    mutation in the MTHFR gene. Heterozygotes may
    have intermediate levels of enzyme activity, but
    no increase in plasma homocysteine levels that has
    been correlated with coronary artery disease and
    venous thrombosis. Increased risk of coronary
    artery disease, venous thrombosis and increased
    plasma homocysteine can be caused by a variety of
    genetic and non-genetic factors not screened by
    this assay. Consider genetic counseling and DNA
    testing for at-risk family members.

Thank you so much for your help – the anxiety/panic has a pretty strong hold on my life right now.

February 28, 2012 at 4:01 am #1080

Zac

Sorry – it was roughly 200 mcg in the b complex.
    (as Metafolin®, L-5-MTHF)

February 28, 2012 at 7:42 am #1082

Dr Lynch
    Key Master

Zac –

You have one copy of C677T which means you are able to make methylfolate – just not as easily if you did not have the defect.

You may have some other genetic defects which reduce your body’s ability to eliminate neurotransmitters – MAO A and COMT. If this is the case, methylfolate can definitely make you feel not good.

Get on some niacin right away as that will help offset the symptoms you are feeling now.

Consider swallowing 1/4 of a tablet of time-released Niacin twice daily.

You may feel a flush but that will go away in about 20 to 30 minutes. Taking only 1/4 tablet will help reduce the chance of flushing. This is a time-released niacin so that also helps reduce flushing.

Try to get up to 500 mg twice a day – which is 1 tablet twice daily. Niacin can be brilliant for anxiety.

Eating every 2 hrs with some form of protein is also critical – along with eliminating gluten and dairy as they are excitatory neurotransmitter-forming.

February 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm #1096

Zac

Thank you so much for this information. I found it quite odd that B-complex with just folic acid, makes me feel great! But the complex with the active folate makss me feel horrible (for days after I stop!).

I’m going to see if my insurance will cover the MAO/COMT tests.

Until I can get tested – do you feel it’s safe to say I should continue with the b-complex that makes me feel great? Seems like a silly question :)

Also – is there a particular multi that you offer that might be better for me, knowing that the methylfolate is not ideal). Also – any specific supplement, other than niacin that can help with anxiety/depression?

Again – thank you so much for your help.

February 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm #1097

Zac

Sorry – one more thing to mention – the b-complex that makes me feel great… has the following in it:

Niacin (from inositol hexanicotinate 34 mg, niacinamide ascorbate 30 mg, & nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide 10 mg [Coenzymated™])

Can I just take that and get the time-released niacin – when that bottle is empty (which will be quite soon).

March 1, 2012 at 6:00 pm #1162

Zac

Sorry to bug you again – but is it possible that the side effects of active-folate could last !weeks! if I don’t try this niacin approach?

April 5, 2013 at 9:40 pm #90219

Marizza

Hello,

I was looking for a multi with high iron so I decided to get this but I read this combination is not good may have reactions to this?

Folate (500 mcg as Calcium Folinate and 500 mcg as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate

April 5, 2013 at 9:42 pm #90220

Marizza

thank you

July 16, 2013 at 2:57 am #376604

Lynn D

Am wondering if to try M folate or the store had calcium folinate. When I tried
    folic acid 10yrs ago got geographic tongue (quite painful), so cautious about
    any folic product. cant I just eat vegies? I do take methyl B12 a Dr presribed several yrs ago
    for trouble conctrating, now take a sublingual and if take regular amount I loose weight (trying to
    gain more muscle bone…) and if dont take it become a zombie.
    Am homozygous for 677T but regular for 1298, also do have ++for MAO rs6323 TT and just 1 COMB
    COMT V158M rs4680 AA ++
    COMT H62H rs4633 TT –
    COMT P199P rs769224 — GG
    will be nice to have my brain and concentration back.
    Thank you
    Lynn D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Reply To: calcium folinate
Your information:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Comments are closed.