How did you become Wheat Free? Tips please!

This topic contains 23 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Neigergeby 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Dr Lynch
    Keymaster

As a physician, it is my job to prevent disease as much as it is to help those heal it.

One of my top recommendations is to tell people to stop eating wheat.

This of course is difficult to do.

If you are currently living wheat-free or gluten-free (even better! :) ), explain your transition.

How did you begin eating without wheat or gluten?

What made you make this choice?

If you were wheat-free, what made you go gluten-free?

What symptoms were you having prior to living wheat-free?

What symptoms went away while wheat-free?

What symptoms went away while gluten-free?

How long have you been living wheat-free?

How long have you been living gluten-free?

Do you find it fairly easy to live without wheat or gluten now?

What tips do you have to offer those struggling with making the transition away from eating wheat or gluten?

Your help is really appreciated! People need your help!

#2456 Reply

Becky

Stopped using wheat for a variety of reasons but I have discovered coconut and almond meal flour and they are deliciious! Once you get the hang of cooking with them, you will never look back. There are lots of websites that can provide tips and recipes.

#2457 Reply

aaron

As an Executive Chef it’s been a bit easier for me to transfer to wheat/gluten free. Maybe I should start classes or online blog to help others? Who know my pasta and pizza skills would be so dangerous? I see recent research proves wheat is loaded with MSG !! ICK :(

I’ve got a ton of great info and ideas to keep on the path to wheat/gluten free –

Being Wheat/gluten free has help a bit with weight loss, extreme “belly” pain, joints hurting and so forth…. every little bit helps to get the pain down.

I had to do this – my testing came back & said wheat/gluten is a serious allergy! Do not eat. so I changed to being free of it.

I’ve been free for about 2 months. For me with my training it wasn’t too hard to do. However going anywhere near the bakery at my local farmers market could spell a complete melt down lol :)

I guess I should get started on a website to help others?

Aaron R C.W.C – C.H.M
    Executive Chef & Private Butler
    Native American Medicine Man

#2463 Reply

kelly

diagnosed with lyme disease in january ,gluten feeds lyme so we went GF .my husband did paleo since novemeber just because he needed to lose weight and feel better and has lost 40 lbs. the rest of us went GF in january and weve seen less headaches,tiredness and fogginess. we ate at my favorite restaurant a few weeks ago and i cheated and had their yeast rolls (texas roadhouse :)and an appetizer that had gluten and croutons on my salad. (w/ a steak and baked sweet potatoe)about 1/2 hour after eating i got heart skips (my doc called them pre-ventricular contractions ). i had baan taking magnesium for those during my pregnancies (when theyd show up like clockwork at 20 wks)and that would take them away . i noticed they came back last year-not pregnant- which was a first so i went back on magnesium. when i went GF ,a few months later i ran out of mag and i havent ordered more but have only gotten them the one time i had some gluten , now about 2 months ago! weird !id have never guessed gluten was causing me HEART issues ! im generally not allergic to anything other than cats!
    i think it was just hard to figure out what to eat for each meal. i eat about 70% paleo with some yogurt and cheese, rice,beans and occasional GF oats. feeding a large family on just paleo is just *so* expensive so rice,GF oats and potatoes help stretch. also making sure nothing we buy is “enriched” cause of the MTHFR thing too :). lots of label reading!

#2476 Reply

Allie

Wheat came up on a list of 16 foods I am sensitive to, in Feb 2012, in an attempt to find causes of GERD. Plus, about 7 years ago I had been diagnosed insulin resistant and told to give up ‘all starchy foods – forever’. This proved extremely difficult and I haven’t got a handle on it even now, but just avoiding wheat is much, much easier to do so this has actually made life EASIER for me strangely enough. Though I still haven’t completely killed the GERD so there must be other causes too.

ELANA’S PANTRY:
    Here is an amazing website for almond and coconut flour baking recipes http://www.elanaspantry.com/ – Elana’s books are great too, I have both of them. However nearly all her recipes have eggs in and I have been told to avoid eggs and almonds too, so haven’t been doing much baking at all since Feb. She has plenty of recipes on the website for you to try without needing to buy the books – and these recipes really do work!

In my case, I’m told that spelt and durum flour are ok for me so here is a recipe I invented, for cracker biscuits (to go with the cheese I can’t now eat… or rather the beautiful wild game pate I have now found to take its place). I use spelt – my naturopath uses packet gf flour and says it always works just fine for her.

GF (or spelt) LINSEED CRACKERS:
    2 tbsp linseeds, 4 tbsp water, in a mini blender – blend to a fine gloop. (freshly ground linseeds are much better for you than pre-ground)
    Add a couple of tbsp olive oil, and maybe some sesame or poppy seeds, to taste.
    Tip into a bowl, add a pinch or two of salt and enough GF flour (I personally use wholemeal spelt) to make a stiff dough.
    Roll into 4 very thin large sheets, each to fit a whole baking sheet, and bake about 7 minutes at 180C.
    Take off the sheet onto the counter, cut up with a pizza wheel to mouthful size, pop back on the sheet in the oven at 150C about 20 – 30 mins till nice and crisp.
    Cool, and keep in a tin. Will keep well so long as they are truly crisp. You can always put them back in the oven for a bit if you find they are not crisp enough.

Also, when you need a dairy free spread to go with it:

COCONUT OLIVE OIL SPREAD
    Gently melt coconut oil and stir in extra virgin olive oil. Experiment till it sets to spreadable either in the fridge or at room temp. 50/50 doesn’t work for either, 2/3rd coconut to 1/3rd olive oil is fine for our winter room temps (Adelaide, South Australia – 15-20C), for spreadable from the fridge you will need mostly olive oil but I haven’t defined the proportions for that one yet.

I’m looking forward to trying recipes that others may post :)

#2478 Reply

Allie

And a tip for making this or any other healthy transition:

I have a finite resource for dealing with any kind of ‘bad’ stuff. If I bind that up dealing with what I have just eaten then it can’t deal with the damage that’s already there in my body. If I eat really well then I am supporting those resources to work through my body and deal with the damage that is already there.

If only I had cartooning abilities, I’d love to turn that one into lots of little emergency workers doing their stuff – either caught up in the crisis of the moment, or quietly doing lots of good works in the background in the absence of a crisis.

So I can make that decision meal by meal – am I letting the background healing move on, or am I going to make a decision that pulls all my little emergency workers off that job to deal with something new that I throw at them?

#2483 Reply

Jenny

My daughter tested negative for celiac gene and negative to gluten/wheat sensitivity. However natropath suggested she go gluten free to heal leaky gut. My daughter was absolutely devastated to hear this and had a complete meltdown just contemplating it. (She also went casien free: which did nt worry her at all!) I have heard the more you need to eliminate foods, the more reason you should not be having it. It becomes an addiction. The first week was incredibly hard. No concentration, euphoric brain fog,gluten cravings flu like symptoms,headaches, joint pain and increased urination. 4 months down the track….. and now she never wants to eat gluten again. She is less emotional,less paranoid and anxious, less brain fog. Her digestion has also improved significantly.

#2486 Reply

Rach

I took my son off gluten and casein because he was diagnosed with asd at age 3. Most autistic kids suffer from leaky gut.
    Well the effect has been amazing. He now sleeps throught the night, he has regained his color, he has lost his spaced out look and he has started talking in sentences and more eye contact.
    After seeing this happen, I also took myself off gluten and casein and I generally feel alot better, less bloated and it feels like my digestion works better. It’s been about 6 weeks now. I decided to go on the diet because of fertility issues and many ‘alternative’ drs suggest trying to remove foods that can cause inflammation- so am giving it a go- also dr Ben suggested going off gluten if you have MTHFR mutation!
    I find it easier to eat at home rather than out ( I fear cross contamination when we go out), but I have found that you have to be prepared and make sure you find suitable alternatives before embarking on the diet. Healthfood stores have lots of alternatives you have never thought of- I found coconut yoghurt and coconut choc are winners in our house.

#2495 Reply

Lynn_M

Allie,
    Perhaps the reason you still have some GERD is that you haven’t eliminated wheat and gluten from your diet. Spelt and durum flour are wheat products, and any diet I’ve seen for celiac and non-celiac gluten sensitivity says those also need to be eliminated from the diet.

If you want more certainly about whether you can eat them or not, I suggest getting the Enterolab gluten sensitivity gene test for $150. Or, try eliminating all gluten products, including spelt and durum flour, for at least a month or two and see if you feel better.

#2499 Reply

Allie

Thanks Lynn, I did very carefully eliminate all wheat/gluten for many months before I was told these forms should be ok for me, and I got so used to avoiding them that I only occasionally eat them even now because I still have my suspicions. I hardly eat any ready made foods, I exclude 16 foods I know I am sensitive to, I keep extensive notes – including everything I eat (mainly meat, fruit and veg), and how I feel – and just not spotting a link with anything right now for the remaining occasional heartburn. I can get it from home made chicken and veg soup that’s never been near stuffing if I go digging in the garden afterwards, so I was suspecting the digging for that one! But your suggestion may be just the direction I need, there’s no harm in trying again – especially now I’m excluding all the dairy, eggs, soy, fish and shellfish, nuts, legumes, citrus etc etc etc as well, maybe the combination is important too. I am inspired anew!

#2506 Reply

Lynn_M

Allie,
    Recent research has shown that many other grains, especially corn, have their own types of gluten, that it’s not just the classic wheat, barley, rye, and perhaps oats that need to be avoided. As Dr. Osborne at http://www.glutenfreesociety.org tells it, apparently in WWII, those classic grains became unavailable in one of the Scandinavian countries, and kids that had these mysterious gastrointestinal illnesses mysteriously got better. After the war, when those grains became available again, the kids got sick again. So some bright soul decided it was the wheat, barley, rye, and oats that were the culprits. It was never researched as to whether other grains also caused problems. Corn has just about as much gluten as barley and rye do, and unfortunately most corn is GMO these days.

Regarding your homemade chicken and veg soup. Did you use a commercial broth to make your soup? If so, that would be my suspect. Maybe you’ve eliminated it already, but high fructose corn syrup causes big problems for some people.

I’ve heard one doctor say that if your pulse goes up 10% after eating a food, that is suspicious for an allergy or intolerance to that food.

#2507 Reply

Allie

Hi Lynn
    That’s interesting about all the different grains. Following food allergy testing I was told to avoid modern wheat varieties, and rye. Since that was the same point I was told to avoid almonds and legumes, which until then had been my substitutes, I reverted to eating a little spelt. I’d be very surprised if there is any HFCS in my house, I’m a cook from fresh person and generally very aware of ingredients on the rare packaged items I do buy. My chicken soup is organic free range chicken, slow cooked for several hours into traditional stock, usually once we’ve had the roast and I stew up the carcase with some extra chicken wings. Then I add fresh organic veggies, often straight out of the garden. So you can see why I scratch my head a little finding more things to address!

Looks like I need to ditch every single grain for a while, not just the spelt, and see how that goes. I appreciate you getting me thinking more deeply about this, it could well be just what I need.

#2634 Reply

Allie

Lynn, I owe you a huge thank-you! I have extensive notes of everything I have eaten for months, but the cause of the heartburn was still a mystery. You made me look very closely back at oats and spelt where I have eaten them – and they seem to be the cause, but a full 36 hours later. So, porridge for breakfast one day – heartburn after dinner the following day, and lessening over the next couple of days (still after dinner) till it stops again.

I am now another vote for ‘totally gluten free’ and also hope my experience with the time lapse before symptoms may help someone else to work it out. You can’t rely on seeing an immediate reaction to know whether a food is a problem for you.

Since I have Barrett’s Esophagus and am refusing to take prescribed antacids this advance in my understanding is just HUGE and possibly a lifesaver and I really can’t thank you enough.

#2639 Reply

Mark

I have been living wheat and gluten-free since the early 80s after learning the results of one of the first delayed food sensitivity tests available at the time that showed me a 4+. Food allergies and sensitivities were one of the first things I tackled after a near-death gut infection in which I was hospitalized. What that infection did to my immune system and gut mucosa should go in the annals of food allergy, LGS, and dysbiosis (which later ensued). The symptoms I recall from consuming wheat during that time were tachycardia and headaches. I have repeated several tests since then (all IgG delayed) and it seems that the sensitivity to wheat has lifted, however, due to my paranoia over the horrors of wheat and gluten in general, I never added either back except for a handful of occasional challenges.

I have found that eliminating such altogether no big deal now. It’s absence is so ingrained (no pun intended) in my diet, that I don’t miss it at all. Same for any alcohol, cow’s milk, corn, and soy. I just recently learned I had the C677T mutation. Now I finally have an answer to why much of what I suffered was due to. I have been on a low-carb Paleo diet for the last few months, so I no longer eat ANY grains, gluten or not.

Because there are so many wonderful grain and gluten-free alternatives (quinoa, safe starchy tubers, flaxseed breads, buckwheat, etc.), I have no problem. Besides, only if you’re an endurance athlete do you need extra carbs other than from veggies; it is a fact that the body burns fat as energy, and glucose, albeit at a much slower rate, is produced from protein sources via gluconeogenesis.

The majority of people are lazy a**ses that are in denial about their own health issues and only think sick people (i.e. celiacs) should eat wheat-free, so they continue to consume grains as a cheap source of fuel, especially the worst of them (wheat) and are ticking time bombs for just about every inflammatory-related disease we have on record and probably many more that are about to become known.

It is very difficult to de-program the brainwashing conventional medical wisdom and diet dogma has instilled upon our entire culture for decades. Unfortunately, the powers that be are motivated and driven by money and drug patents and only a very small percentage of us have either taken individual initiative through self-education, life-compromising health situations like mine, or a combination of both.

Here’s a dichotomy to ponder: In the traditional Italian diet, similar to the much-touted Mediterranean Diet, pasta accompanies almost every dish. It’s as ubiquitous as water. How do we then account for the centuries-old consumption of so many wheat-based staples and the remarkable health, vigor and longevity of its consumers? If wheat is so horrible as we believe it to be, why aren’t 90% of the inhabitants of Italy extinct by now? Are the offsetting factors (less stress/slower pace of life, fresher foods, more walking) enough to compensate for the deleterious effects from so much wheat eating as evidenced by tons of research? Have they developed a genetic inclination to better assimilate gluten protein while having the capacity to stabilize their insulin sensitivity (and not become insulin resistant) as has been theorized as to why the Chinese eating all the horrible white rice for eons can remain relatively thin and disease-free (until they subjected themselves to the SAD westernized poison)?

#2642 Reply

Astrid Tanis

Four years ago I developed severe IBS after an intestinal infection and a flare up of CFS. I tried three things to overcome it, al gluten free. First was SCD that helped bud did not resolve everything. Then I tried a gluten free vegan Raw Food diet that made things much worse. After that I went on the GAPSdiet that made things much better. I’m four years gluten free and 18 months GAPS. Recently I learned I’m heterozygous for MTHFR C677T and MTHFR A1298C . And I have mutations in more snp’s that are methylation related. I think there is this might be the cause of life long health problems, like CFS and MCS learning disabilities (dyslexia and concentration problems) and the history of severe mercury poisoning by dental amalgams mode it worse. Al my molars where filled with big amalgams and dentists started this when I was four. I’m sixty now and they are out 14 years. I could not tolerate any chelators.
    The two best things I did for myself was removing my amalgams and going gluten(starch and sugarfree). The Gaps diet health my IBS 90% and the CFS/MCS 60 to 70%. Still a bit to go.

Astrid

#2697 Reply

Tara

Astrid, did you have trouble digesting meat on GAPS? And have you noticed reactions or intolerances to foods high in sulfur? Your symptoms and experience sound very familiar…

#2708 Reply

Bridget

I think this is a great forum. I found it because someone suggested I should be tested for MTHF mutated gene. This forum came up during the Google search. In October 2008 I was tested for gluten intolerance/sensitivity because of various symptoms. It was a cotton roll saliva type test sent to a lab in Washington state. Results: I’m extremely gluten intolerant.

I have had the blood test now for Celiac and don’t have that. It may be that the over use of strong anti-biotics for pneumonia (which was probably two ribs out of place for a long period of time) without supplementing pro-biotics. Of course this caused a problem in my gut.I felt so terrible all the time, I was anxious to try anything. So, I still didn’t know I had two ribs out of place. I went GF in October 2008. I didn’t get the chiropractor who could straighten me out until March 2009. The ribs went out of place about four years prior during a weight shifting accident when a huge weight hit me in the lower left chest area.

Promptly I tried going Gluten Free. The first thing I realized is that I couldn’t eat out wherever soy sauce is used in the food prep… Number two ingredient in the label of soy sauce is wheat. You have to look around to find a brand that doesn’t have it in there and it will cost more most of the time. The local Asian food place said the local food distributor he buys from would charge him twice as much for same product if it didn’t have wheat. This wheat can also be in any soy milk you purchase. I suggest the almond milk. It’s yummy and the chocolate version will fool most people if you serve very chilled. Celiac children will love this treat. I’m planning on making some ice cream out of some I just bought in my sorbet and ice cream maker. Who says you have to suffer and be gluten free?

So, now three and a half years later I feel I have a handle on it and know what’s what and what’s not. Of course, going to restaurants is always risky, even if they have a gluten free menu. Living gluten free has been worthwhile because how I feel when I eat gluten is terrible. The brain fog, the painful joints, it’s amazing the number of things I feel happens because of eating gluten.

My tip here, particularly after reading Allie’s story, I want to suggest that for heartburn, do what I do because it works! A friend of mine introduced me to it. Try it as an after dinner “mint” ~ chewable papaya enzymes. I found them before I found out all these other things and it really helped me to suffer through eating which always caused bloat and uncomfortable feelings.

So, Astrid, there are just times when we have heartburn. Take this remedy of papaya enzyme, easily available at even the Kroger stores in their nutritional sections and you’ll be able to be in comfort while you figure out if there’s something else lurking in that cabinet or refrigerator that doesn’t belong in your mouth, more specifically your gut.

Listen, I could go on and on… but I must get on to other things. The papaya enzymes is such a wonderful remedy that I was able to open up my spouse’s mind to trying herbal remedies and supplements because it works for him, too, the skeptic. My spouse waits until he gets a heartburn, but it works for him.

Cheers!

#2711 Reply

Allie

Bridget – I have Tamari soy sauce which doesn’t have wheat in it. I have no idea if that holds for all Tamari but worth a look at the labels. At least I can cook Asian at home now, so long as I use rice noodles :)

#2712 Reply

evy

Mark,

Why is today’s wheat/gluten an issue? Here’s something interesting I read earlier today here on this site (another forum page)….

Lynn_M June 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm # Reply
    GMO wheat has been grown in research labs but it is not yet sold commercially. So GMO wheat is not the problem; the public has not eaten it. GMO means a protein of foreign origin has been incorporated into the substance through laboratory manipulation.

Our modern wheat has been modified, just not via GMO methods. The common modern wheat variety was engineered by Norman Borlaug and known as Dwarf Wheat, or as Dr. Davis, the author of Wheat Belly, calls it, “Mutant Dwarf Wheat”.

From http://benatlas.com/2011/10/from-einkorn-to-the-mutant-dwarf-wheat-on-your-table/: “Throughout history people bred the new wheat to be more pliable, in other words to have a higher content of that retched glue [gluten]. The development of the “mutants” started in earnest in the last 50 years, primarily by the aforementioned Norman Borlaug who worked on his rouge experiments in Mexico. First they developed the wheat with a heavier seed head. Then they realized that the traditional four foot stalk buckled under the weight of the heavy head, so they developed this Mutant Dwarf Wheat variety. The Dwarf Wheat can’t grow without a fertilizer, yes allegedly it fed billions but it also starved many, even this year in India. Not to mention the central Dr. William Davis accusation of the being responsible for the epidemic of diabetes, heart diseases and the countless western ailments. This mutant wheat now accounts for 99% (no pun intended) of the wheat grown worldwide.”

Some of the ways that scientists develop new plant breeds is to radiate seeds, or expose them to very toxic chemicals, or extreme temperatures, and then grow what will still life. Not natural hybridization methods, but not GMO.

Modern dwarf wheat has much higher gluten content, and gluten can cause major damage. The wheat germ agglutinin, a lectin, also causes problems. Dr. Davis’ book gives lots more information about why wheat is so harmful. His blog on the subject ishttp://www.wheatbellyblog.com/.

:)

evy

#2713 Reply

evy

GAPS, SCD, paleo, grain free and raw foods diets/recies opened up new horizons for finding recipes for gluten free-the internet is full of great recipe blogs, recipe web sites and such, that provide neat ideas, tips, and are amazing resources. Being creative and adapting to the various restrictions on individual diets is very do-able. The sky’s the limit. After years and years of various allergy type cooking/baking, it’s been fun this past year to find new sources of ideas I’d never come across before, after diving into GAPS/SCD.

My 19 year old daughter (though we didn’t know she had MTHFR until just a couple months ago) did GAPS for several months and she saw no relief of any of her chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia-ish symptoms/etc.-at ALL! In fact, she felt much worse :(

We recently discovered she had MTHFR and I am trying to talk her into a completely gluten free diets, again :)

Thus far, in spite of trying many different allergy diets for years now including sugar free, gluten free, dairy free, all from scratch, etc., etc. none have NOT brought any positive changes to her horrible aches and pains, brain fogs, fatigue, and other ailments. In fact, she’s continued to get steadily worse with time. That has been HUGELY discouraging, of course.

Maybe now that we know MTHFR is an issue, some improved methylation will bring about the changes we’ve been hoping and praying for for years.

Recipes

Yummy hot breakfast cereal: equal parts millet, quinoa and sunflower seeds, grind in coffee (or other) grinder) cook with a 3:1 ratio of cereal/meal to water, boil for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat, put lid on and let sit for 5 minutes. I love it with fresh squeezed lemon juice and a little stevia.

Coconut milk and coconut oil have been a great addition to cooking in our home.

I made a great chocolate banana cream pie with ] coconut milk (the solids from one can), dried pitted dates, cocoa powder (carob would work too), dab of stevia, 1/3 of a banana, homemade vanilla, stevia, dab of coconut oil-blend like crazy until smooth, pour into dessert bowls and refrigerate or pour over crust (gf, egg free, whatever-your-restrictions-are crust), refrigerate. YUM!

Champion Juicer Sorbet (though the Champion Juicer is EXPENSIVE, it would be well worth the investment for the “dessert” factor alone, for those who have limited in food choices!)
    -freeze any kind of fruit in pieces (if you let it freeze into one big chunk, you’ll need to let it thaw and then cut with a knife into chunks that will fit into the juicer): strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, berries, etc. Remove from freezer and let thaw for a couple of minutes, press through Champion Juicer with solid rather than juice sieve on the bottom). What comes out of the juicer is like the best sorbet you can imagine :) Pineapple is our very favorite, and the texture is amazing-like soft serve ice cream. If I have to pick one and only one dessert to have for the rest of my life, the pineapple “sorbet” would be it! If you wanted mixed fruit sorbets, blend fruit (of any kind) in blender, add sweeter if you wish-stevia, honey, etc.-add a little psyllium if your diet allows that ingredient, though it’s fine without it too, pour 1-2 inches thick into a pan or container to put in the freezer, freeze, remove from freezer when hardened, cut into strips/chunks that will fit into juicer, and press through. YUM!

I am an avid sunflower seed girl! So many of the gluten free/GAPS/SCD/etc diets call for nuts, and I can’t stand how expensive nuts are! I’ve made crackers with ground sunflower seeds-that taste just like the little fishy crackers that are so NOT good for the human body :) Sunflower seeds are a great option if they are allowed in your diet. They make decent substitutes for almond flour when blended finely. I also add ground sunflower seeds to much of my baking for added nutrition. Sunflower seed sprouts have amazing nutrition! We make our own sunflower nut butter in the Champion Juicer (between the sorbet and nut butter, we’d think our juicer was well worth it’s 21 year existence in our home, even if we never juiced-but we do that too :).

Waffles
    If one tolerates oats, gluten free oats can be used to make waffles:
    3 cups water
    2 cups oats
    1 cup sunflower seeds
    blend in blender until smooth, let sit 10 minutes, add a smidge of water if necessary to have not-too-thick waffle batter texture, pour into waffle iron, bake for 3-10 minutes(depends on waffle maker, we use a waffle iron that sits right on the burner and that takes 3 minutes per side, but I think standard waffle irons take about 10 minutes). Enjoy!

Socca is made with chickpea flour, for those that can have chickepeas-YUM! There are tons of recipes out there, here’s a sweet, rather than savory one:

http://www.pure2raw.com/2011/02/chocolate-donut-socca-dairyfree-glutenfree-vegan-breakfast/

or another recipe:

sugar free rhubarb macaroon slice
    Base
    100g quinoa flakes
    50g coconut flakes (no sugar added)
    50g rolled oats*
    1 tablespoon raw pure cacao nibs (total sugars 3.6g/100g)
    80g virgin coconut oil
    2 large egg whites (free-range,organic)
    Filling
    200g rhubarb, cut into 1 cm slices
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3 large egg whites (free-range, organic)
    50g fine desiccated coconut (no sugar added)
    * You could make this totally gluten-free by using uncontaminated oats, or simply replacing the 50 grams of oats with more quinoa flakes.
    Preheat oven to 180C and line a 25cm x 15cm baking tray with baking paper.

For the filling, place the rhubarb and ground cinnamon, along with a dash of water (a couple of tablespoons) into a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to boil, then let simmer while you make the base and the filling. Stir the mixture every now and then and just let it cook until quite thick. Set aside to cool.
    For the base, place the quinoa flakes, coconut flakes, oats and cacao nibs into a food processor. Grind the ingredients into a fine-ish mixture, then add the coconut oil and grind until the mixture comes together. Beat in the egg whites. Spoon the dough in the baking dish and, using your hands, spread on the baking sheet into a 1-2 cm thick base.

For the topping, beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until thick. Carefully fold in the coconut.

This recipe is one on my list to try (potato starch can be replaced with psyllium IF that is tolerated in the diet)

http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2011/10/16/sos-october-2011-autumn-fruit-crisp/

Autumn Apple, Pear and Cranberry Crumble

suitable for ACD Stage 3 and beyond

This is another one of those “desserts-that-can-be-breakfast.” With the abundance of fall fruit and limited grains, this dish makes a great way to start your day. Add a bit more protein and you’re all set!

For the Topping:

1/3 cup (45 g) coconut sugar

1/2 cup (65 g) raw walnut pieces

1/2 cup (80 g) raw natural almonds

1/3 cup (50 g) coconut flour

1/4 cup (60 ml) potato starch

1 Tbsp (30 ml) cinnamon

generous pinch fine sea salt

3 Tbsp (45 ml) unrefined virgin coconut oil, preferably organic

30 drops plain or vanilla liquid stevia, to your taste

1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract

3 Tbsp (45 ml) water

For the Fililng:

2 medium pears, washed, cored and diced

2 medium sweet apples (I used Honeycrisp), washed, cored and diced

1 cup (240 ml) fresh or frozen cranberries

1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon

1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground ginger

2 Tbsp (30 ml) coconut sugar

juice of 1/2 lemon

40 drops (about 1/2 tsp or 2.5 ml) plain or vanilla liquid stevia, to your taste

Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease a casserole or soufflé dish with nonstick spray or coconut oil.

Make the topping: place the coconut sugar, walnuts, almonds, coconut flour, potato starch, cinnamon and salt in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles a fine meal with no pieces of nuts visible.

In a small heavy-bottomed pot, melt the coconut oil. Whisk in the stevia, vanilla and water. Pour the mixture in a ring around the dry ingredients in the processor and pulse until it all come together. It should look like moist clumps. Set aside.

Make the filling: In a large bowl, toss the pear, apple and cranberries together with the cinnamon and ginger. In a small bowl, mix together the coconut sugar, lemon juice and stevia and stir until the coconut sugar begins to dissolve. Drizzle over the fruit in the bowl and then toss again to coat evenly.

Turn the fruit mixture into the casserole dish and sprinkle with the crumble topping. Press down gently on the topping.

Bake in preheated oven for 40-60 minutes (depending on the depth of your pan, you will need more or less time for the fruit to cook), rotating the dish about halway through, until the topping is deeply browned and the fruit is soft. Serve immediately or at room temperature with a little coconut whipped cream. Makes 6-8 servings. May be frozen.

Note: for earlier stages of the ACD, you can replace the coconut sugar with more stevia. Note that your crumble won’t hold together as well, however.

Almond Hempseed Cookies with Sour Cherries

http://www.choosingraw.com/after-school-snack-almond-and-hempseed-cookies-with-sour-cherries/comment-page-1/#comment-80143

Makes about 20 cookies

2 cups raw almonds
    1 cup raisins
    1/2 cup hempseeds
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    3 tbsp agave syrup
    1/3 cup sour cherries (dried)

1. Grind almonds in a food processor till they’re a fine meal. Add raisins, agave, and vanilla, and process till the mixture is even and sticking together. Pulse in the hempseeds and sour cherries.

2. Roll mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls. Flatten into a cookie shape with your hand, and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. And you’re done!

Looking forward to hearing other ideas on the gluten free life :)

evy

#2718 Reply

Lynn_M

I have had two different instances where I made long posts to this particular forum and my post never appeared. No error message showed up either. Most discouraging. I had to recreate the post below, but fortunately copied it the second time. It didn’t show up the third time either, so I will break it up into shorter posts and see if that helps.

Bridget,
    Your cotton roll saliva type test – was it a gluten genome test or a test of gluten antibodies such as antibliadin or tissue transglutaminase?

A celiac blood test has a high number of false negatives. The antibody levels do not register in the celiac range until the small intestine villa is almost totally destroyed by autoimmune reaction. The best way to rule celiac disease in or out is by gluten genome testing. The only way to accurately diagnose non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) is with gluten genome testing. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease and has an ICD. NCGS is a reaction of the innate immune system, not an autoimmune disease, is barely beginning to be recognized by conventional medicine, and currently has no ICD.

#2723 Reply

Lynn_M

This is my sixth time trying to post just this part. Adding spaces in the links didn’t work, so now I will elminate them. Do a search on “Kikkoman claims soy sauce is gluten free Sure Foods Living”. Read the Sure Foods Living article and the link to the KIkkoman pdf.

Regarding soy sauce. Regular Kikkoman soy sauce tests as being gluten free. The fermentation process transforms the wheat protein so the gluten is below level of detection. Some people still think they have problems with it though. See the story and comments at search result above. Also, last year Kikkoman released a gluten free soy sauce made with rice instead of wheat.

Oyster sauce and other brown sauces usually still need to be avoided because they’re not fermented products. I am NCGS and can eat hot and sour soup made with Kikkoman soy sauce with no reaction, but I am restricted to white sauce based main dishes such as moo goo gai pan.

#7207 Reply

tracetepPeft

These blowjob experts wrap hard dicks with hot lips, lick every single spot with playful tongues, tease sensitive skin with teeth and let their men cum in their tight throats.

blowjob

d646d646nadfgsdggrcgdgddgg23HnL

#7208 Reply

Neigergeby

Sexy teens with soft plump tits, tight slits and inviting ass-holes are ready to give their cherished virgin pussies to two giant dicks at a time!

Sexy

d646d646nadfgsdggrcgdgddgg23HnL

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: How did you become Wheat Free? Tips please!
Your information:

Comments are closed.