MTHFR and weight

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr Lynch 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Author

Renee

I am heterozygous for MTHFR and about 200 pounds overweight. I also have PCOS. No matter what I do, I just can’t seem to lose weight. I am on a low carb diet and exercise 20-40 minutes a day, 6 days a week. I have started taking mb12 shots daily and taking folapro daily. Is there anything else I need to do to finally lose weight? Is there anything I am missing?

February 16, 2012 at 9:53 pm #906

Renee

Actually, I’m not sure if heterozygous is the right word. I have one copy of each of the two main mutations.

February 16, 2012 at 11:37 pm #907

jasmine

one copy of a1298c and c677t is called compound heterozygous, so you were very close! have you gotten your thyroid tested? im fairly overweight, not quite as much, and i dont even eat poorly or anything so at my last dr appointment we drew blood and are testing for hypothyroid because that is one of the complications that can go along with having mthfr mutations. perhaps you should try that?

February 17, 2012 at 12:32 pm #919

Renee

I’ve actually been taking one grain of Armour Thyroid for over a year now. It seemed to work for the first couple months, but then nothing. I don’t eat poorly. Mostly fresh/organic fruits and veggies, no trans fats, no preservatives. We get most of our meat from a local farmers market. I have yeast issues so I really try to limit sugar. I really am at wits end!

February 18, 2012 at 11:24 pm #942

jasmine

what is armour thyroid?

February 19, 2012 at 2:38 am #943

Renee

It’s a medication made from dessicated pig thyroid. It’s not a chemical, like synthroid, and seems to balance t3/t4 better.

February 20, 2012 at 3:36 pm #969

Renee

If Dr. Ben hasn’t answered this one yet, does it mean he won’t be answering?

March 21, 2012 at 1:57 am #1440

Amy

Hi, Renee,
    I am homozygous C677T. I have hashimoto’s and hypothyroid. I use Armour thyroid and have found http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com to be very helpful in learning how to use it most effectively. You probably need to increase your dose. Most people stay at too low of a dose for too long. Hope this helps. Also, it’s a good idea to make sure your adrenals, sex hormones, and iron stores are all in check too.

March 21, 2012 at 4:45 am #1442

Dr Lynch
    Key Master

Hi Renee –

Sorry for the delay – lot going on ;)

Weight can be related to so many things as you know.

Folapro is decent but it is just methylfolate. I am glad you are taking methylcobalamin as well.

I highly recommend these lifestyle/dietary changes:
    - avoid wheat and dairy completely
    - eat a more Paleo diet
    - eat smaller yet more frequent meals throughout the day with some form of protein
    - chew your food very very very well before swallowing – take your time.
    - make chia seed gel overnight and then eat it throughout the day to increase satiety
    - find a sauna and use it three times a week
    - ensure proper bowel movements twice daily – if not happening – needs to
    - support your adrenals
    - lift some weights to build muscle as muscle burns fat – three times a week at least – rotate muscle groups.
    - eat only a salad with some light protein before bed – careful of salad dressing – very fattening
    - eat your larger meals during your most active times of the day
    - avoid all soda and corn syrup products
    - take chromium to help with the PCOS
    - take liver supportive nutrients to help reduce testosterone/estrogen levels
    - avoid all plastic in your life – use glass or stainless steel.

These suggestions are all critical in proper weight management.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Reply To: MTHFR and weight
Your information:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Comments are closed.