MTHFR, COMT, and MTRR

This topic contains 16 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Tim 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Author

Sorenna

I am very impressed by all the info on this site. You are doing so much for so many people!!

Here is our situation. My sister and I are hetero for the MTHFR C677T. That was the first test we had done and I thought, “Great! Now we are honing in on the troubles we have been having!” Turns out that was just the start. The Methyl B12 made me worse which started us on a host of supplements.

Finally we did 23 and Me and saw a bunch more, to include double homo for COMT and MTRR.

Now I am totally lost.

I hear now that I may be overmethylated and indeed had ELEVATE b12 on tests!

So, my new plan is to take hydrocyB12 and a smaller dose of MethylFolate with Betaine.

I was taking Methionine directly as an amino and NAC as well. This seemed to help .

I have ordered Niacin, too.

Can you advise on if this is right? I am spending more money on this than food because it’s just too hard to function. We are both in a fog with mood swings and severe eating problems.

Here are our results, by the way. I only have the ones included that have the variations. Negative ones are not included.

They are interesting and others may use them as a reference, too.

1. Methylation Analysis Results/ ME
    Gene & Variation
    COMT V158M rs4680
    AA +/+

COMT H62H rs4633
    TT +/+

VDR Bsm rs1544410
    CT +/-

VDR Taq rs731236
    AG +/-

ACAT1-02 rs3741049
    AG +/-

MTHFR C677T rs1801133
    AG +/-

MTRR A66G rs1801394
    GG +/+

MTRR A664A rs1802059
    AG +/-

2. Methylation Analysis Results/ SISTER
    Gene & Variation
    COMT V158M rs4680
    AA +/+

COMT H62H rs4633
    TT +/+

VDR Bsm rs1544410
    CT +/-

VDR Taq rs731236
    AG +/-

VDR Fok I
    ACAT1-02 rs3741049
    AG +/-

MTHFR C677T rs1801133
    AG +/-

MTRR A66G rs1801394
    AG +/-

MTRR A664A rs1802059
    AG +/-

CBS C699T rs234706
    AG +/-

SUOX S370S

SHMT1 C1420T rs1979277
    AG +/-

November 11, 2012 at 9:02 pm #4817

MaryS

Sorenna, wow we have 6 of the same variations and your sister is +- for the other 2 that I am ++ for! Here is my list…
    ++ COMT 158 and 62
    +- VDR Bsm and Taq
    +- MTHFR C677T
    +- MTRR A 664A
    ++ CBS c699t
    ++ SHMT1 C1420T
    ++ MAO A R297R

Our combo of COMT and VDR is not in Yasko’s chart and hard to figure out how to treat. I’m thinking that having the VDR variants along with the 2 COMP may actually work to our advantage. I just had a saliva test for neurotransmitters and hormones but don’t know the results yet. I am feeling a bit better since making the changes Dr Lynch recommended but still have a long way to go. My main symptoms are heavy tired head, burning eyes, sore muscles, fatigue, low drives, and if I push myself and do more then I should irritable and brain fog. I can let you know what was recommended for me, but just one different variant thrown in the mix can create a whole different set of issues! Let me know if you are interested.

Also just wanted to mention that my b12 was also elevated from a blood test and this does not mean you are over methylated. They usually test for cyanocobalamin. In my case I was drinking coconut milk every morning with added B12 (cyanocobalamin) and taking an adrenal supplement with cynaocabalamin as well. That’s how mine was high I think. I can absorb the cyanocobalamin because my gut health is normal, but my body can not use it, so it was very elevated on the blood test. I switched to an a,mind milk without added b12, stopped the adrenal supplement, and added in 2-3 mg hydroxy b12. I feel better with the hydroxy b12. Check your labels and make sure none of your cerials, breads, or drinks have added b12. 99% chance it is cyanocobalamin if it just says b12.

MaryS

November 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm #4859

Sorenna

Hi mary!

It is so good to hear from someone who has a similar profile. We have had a very hard time of it. For me, it’s been food and moods, but I am also a poor metabolizer of meds in general per my gene testing. The COMT ++ actually is supposed to make us happier if we are able to navigate it!

I would love to know what the recommendations were which were give to you. I have tried so many things, some of which I am sure were terrible, that even if they are off a bit, I will know how to tweak it.

I have hydoxyB12 on my Amazon. Do you have a good brand? I only saw one. I also have betain and b6.

I would love to hear from you again and hope that things are going well. Thank you for responding! :-)

November 13, 2012 at 12:30 am #4889

MaryS

There are only 2 brands of hydroxy b12 that I am aware of. The first link is the one I have but it is more expensive and only 1 mg. the second link is less expensive and 2 mg per tab, so I’m going to get that one when it runs out.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroxy-B12-Lozenges-Brand-Orthomolecular/dp/B000FNAH00/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1352764014&sr=1-1&keywords=Hydroxy+b12

http://www.amazon.com/Perque-Activated-Guard-trade-lozenges/dp/B006UKGDOQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=5ZWJFXQQKCYO&coliid=I1FKOK1N3KTD0S

Dr Lynch recommended I eat something every 4 hours and this helps a lot (I can get irritable and brain fog if I go too long without eating). I also take methionine, biotin, ALA and acetl l carnitine, coQ10, flow fx (blood thinner), hydroxy b12, Vit D, and Mg. there are some other things but they are mainly for my thyroid and adrenals. I also do coffee enemas twice a week and drink MTHFRade.

I’m not sure what you mean by having problems with foods. Do you have a lot of sensitivities and intolerances to foods? Or more like an eating disorder? I do think the lifestyle and heathy dietary changes Ive made probably make the biggest positive difference in my symptoms. I probably spend 5 years working on my digestion prior to even finding out about MTHFR. I think I would feel aweful and be a mess if i ate processed foods, tons of sweets, and gluten.

I tried taking GABA at night because mine is low, but it just made my heart race at night.

Do you have any issues with muscle stiffness, pain, or headaches?

Hope some of this is helpful.

MaryS

November 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm #4922

Sorenna

Thanks, Mary! I also am taking the methionine, but it is not clear to me if this is good or not. Something is making me feel unwell. I am also taking NAC, and I have heard both good and bad about BOTH methionine and NAC so i am confused. Maybe Dr Ben will chime in.

Yes, I had terrible food intolerance as well as eating disorders. Yes, I do get a lot of pain as well, though that has been later. I think metals are building up because I had some fillings redone to get rid of the mercury as well as a shot, and an MRI with gadolinium which I will never do again.

So I am detoxing with the COMT++!! That is a challenge I can tell you! Seems what I do to detox may not be so good for the COMT++

I used ALA and it was awful, for example. Retriggered yeast and pain.

At any rate, I am learning more and tweaking all this. it’s quite confusing!!

November 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm #4925

Sorenna

PS This is the one I am buying. Has anyone ever heard of it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DVAUEY/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

November 14, 2012 at 2:50 am #4962

MaryS

I never saw that one before but it looks good.

That is interesting what you said about the methionine. I’ve been taking it about 4 days now and have been feeling really bad the last 2 days. Really tired and over whelmed and just feeling so disorganized and irritable. Kind of like my adrenals are crashing. The weird thing is I felt so much better the first 2 days on it and then something happened. I’m not going to take it tomorrow. I started the ALA several days before that so it could be from that as well. This happens to me a lot when I take something that effects the neurotransmitters. I feel really good the first day or two on it then get worse after that. Frustrating.

November 14, 2012 at 3:05 pm #4999

Sorenna

Have you tried NAC?

I did the three together……methionine, NAC and Methylfolate. Today I did not because one (or all) are making me feel weird. )

I hope to start one, and at a low dose.

I did cancel that b12 and went with the one from Orthomolecular. After research , that looks like it is best. I will let you know how it effects me. I don’t think it wise to take the methylfolate until that b12 comes.

Also, I may be over methylating.

I do have high MCV and b12 in blood, so I have to be careful.

Having these two COMT++ is really a mystery. I have searched high and low. Yasko has some solutions, but even she says it’s hard.

I think we need methyl donors, but not as much, so we have to be extra careful not to over methylate. Niacin can help when we do.

Those with MTHFr only have to worry about getting enough. We have to watch on a constant balance…….But we can do it! We will find our way…..let’s keep in touch and I will keep posting what helps. I just ordered glututhione, too, and a host of other stuff….STILL cheaper than going to Drs who do nothing!!!! :-D

November 16, 2012 at 5:36 pm #5209

Dolores Seames

Methionine, Lipoic Acid and Cysteine are rich in sulfur, so if you have a CBS and/or BHMT defects sulfur is not good.

November 16, 2012 at 6:12 pm #5218

Dolores Seames

Wow, you have to watch this. It was posted on Dr. Ben’s facebook page. I’ve only listened to the first 8 minutes, and it is power packed with info on Sulfur and it’s conection with the thyroid, and B12 metabolism. http://vimeo.com/26165981# It is titled “Lithium Connedtion – Yasko Protocol Conference”.

November 17, 2012 at 2:30 am #5263

MaryS

Sorenna, I can not take NAC because, like Dolores noted, it can increase sulfur and I have the CBS mutation. I tried taking niacin and felt worse. For some reason my sinus and allergy symptoms get really bad when I take it. I’m guessing that it made me too under methylated which increased my histamine? I did notice the biggest improvement when I started hydroxy b12. Most consistent improvement as well. No ups and downs. It always helps so I’m up to 4 mg a day. I think you will feel better once you start taking it.

Dolores, I’m going to check out that link right now! Thanks. Dr Lynch was actually the one that recommended the ALA and methionine for me. He said my CBS looked like it was pretty much under control based on my low taurine. I did decrease the methionine to 1 cap a day and I only take 1 cap of the ALA as well and do feel better. Although, I did notice my sulfate levels going up a bit lately (they were around 400 but lately have been more like 800) So, I’m not sure if I should continue with it. I did read that methionine can decrease ammonia levels but can’t remember where.

MaryS

November 17, 2012 at 2:48 am #5264

MaryS

Dolores, Ok, I’m definately stopping both the methionine and ALA. Just used my urine sulfate strips and I was at 1600 for the first time since getting them!
    MaryS

November 19, 2012 at 12:38 am #5436

Dolores Seames

Sorenna, I looked up the ingredients on the hydroxy B12, and I personally don’t like all the added ingredients. I try to find one with no suger, artificial sweetners, or magnesium sterate. I purchased this one, and am waiting for it of come.
    Hydroxy B12 (60 Lozenges) Brand: A.O.R Advanced Orthomolecular Research from Amazon. It looked like it had the least added other ingredients. Just my oppinion.
    My doctor took me off of methlyB12, and wants me to use try hydroxy. We finally went over my mutations, so now we are trying to lower my sulfur. I have some question about sulfur foods, so plan on starting a new post.

June 14, 2013 at 4:18 pm #376383

Daniel

Mary and Sorenna–I too have almost all of your guys’ mutations! It’s really odd. I don’t have my list but almost all look all too familiar. I will say I’m glad (not in a happy way) to see that you’ve had muscle soreness. This is extreme in me and is awful. I need to find something to help. It drives me nuts and is much, much worse when I’m stressed. I’m definitely going to do more reading of what you wrote above and hopefully find something more to try.

I’d appreciate any starting points you can offer!

Daniel

October 27, 2013 at 10:34 pm #377820

Aunt Em

article on potential treatment for nephrogenic systemic fibrosis caused by MRI gadolinium (and/or the chelating contrast agent). http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/2/2/258.full.pdf+html
    Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis: A Mysterious Disease in
    Patients with Renal Failure—Role of Gadolinium-Based
    Contrast Media in Causation and the Beneficial Effect of
    Intravenous Sodium Thiosulfate

October 27, 2013 at 10:43 pm #377821

Aunt Em

So, maybe that means one could get rid of gadnolinium with a thiol-based chelator like DMSA. Worth a try for me. They are finding lots of gadnolinium in ppl who have had MRIs with contrast. No more contrast for me. It has done something weird to my mast cells and I have a very annoying case of Raynaud’s.

February 19, 2014 at 1:27 am #380352

Tim

I just got my 23andme data and wonder what it means. The main ones that I wondered about are below.

VDR Taq AA ++
    MAO-A R297R TT ++
    MTHFR C677T AG +-
    MTR A2756G AG +-
    MTRR A66G GG ++
    CBS A360A AA ++

Based on the above, what do they mean and how can I treat the areas that are deficient?

Thanks

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

Reply To: MTHFR, COMT, and MTRR
Your information:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Comments are closed.