Listen to the 30 minute phone consult which Dr Ben Lynch held with a women diagnosed with an unspecified MTHFR gene mutation.
MTHFR (methyl tetra hydro folate reductase) is needed to tranform standard inactive Folic Acid into methylated active 5-MTHF.
Those with certain MTHFR gene mutations (I am of the belief that everyone should) must take only active forms of folic acid as 5-MTHF. If they do not, their homocysteine increases dangerously leading to pulmonary embolisms, deep depression, anxiety, atherosclerosis and cancer to name a few.
Dr Ben goes into some detail about MTHFR and how to reduce homocysteine by taking HomocysteX by Seeking Health.
HomocysteX by Seeking Health uses 5-MTHF, methylcobalamin (active B12) and pyridoxine-5-phosphate (active B6) and soon, TMG (trimethyl glycine). These four nutrients are crucial in reducing homocysteine levels.
Consider taking 2 capsules of HomocysteX in the AM with food and also 2 capsules at lunch time with food.
Always have your doctor monitor Homocysteine levels. This is a marker to see how well you are managing your MTHFR gene mutation.
Questions, comments are highly encouraged. Please comment below. Dr Ben will respond.
Medical Associations: FIND A GREAT DOCTOR (not a close-minded one)
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Orthomolecular Medicine
- Functional Medicine
- American Holistic Medical Association
- American College for the Advancement of Medicine
- American Academy of Environmental Medicine
Supplements recommended in this MTHFR Consult:
- HomocysteX: to reduce levels of homocysteine and bypass the genetic deficiency of MTHFR with active 5-MTHF. Consider taking 2 capsules in the AM with breakfast and 2 capsules at lunch.
- Magnesium Plus: to support healthy neurotransmitter production due to symptoms of depression. HomocysteX should help with depression immensely but likely won’t be enough on its own. Take 2 capsules with breakfast and 2 capsules before bed.
- Optimal Multivitamin: provides all necessary active B vitamins, active minerals and antioxidants. All are needed for most individuals yet most important in those experiencing any form of mental imbalance or highly oxidative condition like MTHFR. Consider taking 2 capsules in the AM with breakfast, 2 at lunch and 2 more at around 3 PM to maintain energy levels throughout the day.
- ProBiota 12 Powder: due to routine antibiotic use and symptoms of depression. Consider taking 1/4 teaspoon after dinner for 2 weeks and then up to 1/2 teaspoon after that. Once the bottle is finished, reduce to taking 1/8 teaspoon each evening after dinner or switch to taking 1 capsule of ProBiota 12 capsules.
- Optimal Iron Plus Cofactors: To replenish Iron stores due to iron deficiency. Take 1 capsule daily between meals. Before bed is ideal.
- Body Balance Oil: To balance inflammation with a healthy balanced oil. Take 1-2 tablespoons with a meal anytime of day. If digestive disturbance from it, take 1 tablespoon at breakfast and one at dinner to split up the dose.
Lifestyle changes recommended in this MTHFR consult:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice mixed with 1/2 cup of filtered water. Sip slowly first thing in the morning.
- Ensure eating some form of meal with protein every couple hours to maintain blood sugar and energy. Great for neurotransmitter development also.
- Coconut Butter for cooking and eating for general well-being.