Having MTHFR mutations increases the likelihood of elevated homocysteine levels.
Monitoring your homocysteine level is critical especially if elevated.
The issue is homocysteine testing is fraught with issues.
Properly prepare yourself to get your homocysteine level measured.
- You should be fasting. Do not eat anything prior to testing. Ideally get tested in the morning to make this easier.
- Many foods contain protein and most protein contains methionine.
- High-methionine containing foods can falsely elevate your homocysteine levels.
Ensure the lab handles your blood sample properly.
- Within 30 minutes of drawing your blood, the sample must be placed on ice and spun down.
- Red blood cells continue to release homocysteine so they must be removed.
- Homocysteine levels increase by 10% per hour if the red blood cells are not removed.
- Once red blood cells and serum are removed, the remaining plasma remains stable at room temperature for 4 days.
Do you actually have high homocysteine?
High homocysteine is a significant issue and it can often times be easy to lower with the right nutrients.
Here is what I recommend to try and lower your homocysteine level:
- HomocysteX Plus: contains a combination of methylation supportive nutrients. High homocysteine occurs because methylation is not running smoothly. Consider taking one capsule of HomocysteX Plus daily until your homocysteine levels are around 7-8 umol/L and then use it sparingly or as needed.
- PQQ Lozenge: At times, high homocysteine is worsened by free radicals or reactive oxygen species. Consider taking one PQQ Lozenge daily. Swallow it vs sucking on it as the natural microbial ferment of PQQ may cause some blue discoloration on your tongue. By swallowing it, this doesn’t occur. My wife loves this supplement and has bottles everywhere – in her car, kitchen, bathroom, etc. It’s very effective at reducing oxidative stress which slows down methylation. PQQ is also better tolerated than liposomal glutathione – which is very much needed for methylation – but should be taken after PQQ to help reduce oxidative stress and increase tolerance of liposomal glutathione.
Caution of Home Test Kits for Measuring Homocysteine:
There are homocysteine test kits online which claim you can do a finger stick and send in your sample on a card. Obviously, now that you know the above requirements are needed for proper homocysteine level measurement, this type of homocysteine testing is inaccurate.
Source of Information: Laboratory Medicine. 2006;37(9):551-553. 2006 American Society for Clinical Pathology
Question for you:
Is your homocysteine routinely elevated? Are you questioning it now? Comment below.