Having MTHFR mutations increases the likelihood of elevated homocysteine levels.
Monitoring your homocysteine level is critical especially if elevated.
The issue is homocysteine testing is fraught with issues.
Properly prepare yourself to get your homocysteine level measured.
- You should be fasting. Do not eat anything prior to testing. Ideally get tested in the morning to make this easier.
- Many foods contain protein and most protein contains methionine.
- High-methionine containing foods can falsely elevate your homocysteine levels.
Ensure the lab handles your blood sample properly.
- Within 30 minutes of drawing your blood, the sample must be placed on ice and spun down.
- Red blood cells continue to release homocysteine so they must be removed.
- Homocysteine levels increase by 10% per hour if the red blood cells are not removed.
- Once red blood cells and serum are removed, the remaining plasma remains stable at room temperature for 4 days.
Caution of Home Test Kits for Measuring Homocysteine:
There are homocysteine test kits online which claim you can do a finger stick and send in your sample on a card. Obviously, now that you know the above requirements are needed for proper homocysteine level measurement, this type of homocysteine testing is inaccurate.
Source of Information: Laboratory Medicine. 2006;37(9):551-553. 2006 American Society for Clinical Pathology
Question for you:
Is your homocysteine routinely elevated? Are you questioning it now? Comment below.